Sunday, October 24, 2004

Soccer

Nick's game this morning was at a field near a creek. The field was blanketed in fog. It was so cool to sit and watch the game in the fog. It made my heart squeeze with the need to go to San Francisco. To be near the ocean and hear the fog horns! I love to walk or drive through Golden gate park. Sigh.

The only downer at the game was (and is) the soccer moms. They seem to be a breed of their own. They seemed especially grating to me today.

I arrived on time for Nick to warm up. (1/2 hour before game time) I was suited up in my winter woollies, picked my spot a bit from the crowd so I could watch in peace. By game time a group had sprawled my way incorporating me. I was happily enjoying the fog and writing this post on a pad while watching the game. It was getting harder to block out the annoying voice in a pretentious conversation. The woman with the annoying voice chose to stand behind me and yell at the boys playing. It bothered me but I tried to let it go. The kicker was when I unexpectedly looked up from my writing and this woman was standing right behind me reading what I was writing. She was embarrassed and moved away. I quietly put my few things in my bag and moved my chair 10 feet away. You would have thought I'd called her a bad name and slapped her face. For the rest of the game they talked about me in a stage whisper. They couldn't figure out who I was. I was dressed simply (unlike the woman in a 3/4 length fur coat) and had a simple fold up chair to sit in. My crime for this rude treatment? Being quiet and moving my chair to save my sanity.

If I'm treated like this at an early morning soccer game how do they treat people in their community? What role model is this for their children? I cant believe the treatment of a stranger.

I try to treat people with respect and not judge them especially from first meeting them. I know that it's not always possible but I don't do something to make any person uncomfortable.

Enjoy the day and if you are in the neighborhood come see the CSz show tonight.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home