Tuesday, October 12, 2004

I missed driving My car!

I'm enjoying Driving again! I missed the short trips most people do everyday. What I'm itching for is a destination road trip. The kind that is headed for something great - like Disneyland.

My car is pretty plain jane compared to my old rides. The seats are really comfortable and I have a decent stereo. Since it's a Volvo its like driving a tank. The only complaint is no cruise control. Oh, and no seat heater.

I had a 1959 pink Edsel convertible with continental kit. I also had a 1959 Edsel wagon and a 1962 red Ford Econoline Camper van. The last two were everyday drivers.

The last road trip I took was to the shopping Mecca known as IKEA. It was in my last cool ride. It was a 1974 International Travelall. School bus yellow with fake wood sides. The interior was in mint condition when I got it since the original owner had plastic covers on the back seat. It was green and beige woven cloth insets on vinyl. This car had it all! Two gas tanks one in the front = 35 gallon capacity. The front seats were captains chairs that ajusted forward and back as well as recline but the added feature was lumbar support! The back seat was bench that would fit three comfortable. Lots of leg room all around. The trunk could fit a queen size bed flat but even with the seat down it wouldn't quite fit lengthwise. It had power windows (including tail gate window) power steering and brakes (and cruise control) which made driving a joy. There was even a working CB radio. One of the best features was the b*tching stereo system. Each door had a speaker as well as the dash and very back to blast the powerful Pioneer eight track player. I owned over 40 eight tracks I got for less than a quarter each. Yes, I loved that car the most. I sold it reluctantly when I moved to my old apartment. I'm glad I sold it when I did because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to. It got 12 MPG tops on the freeway but 8 or less in town - ouch!

Back to the road trip. I came back with the furniture I (mostly) own now. The seat was down and we had it filled to the roof as well as some things tied to the roof rack. That was a fun road trip during a (brief) good period not too long ago. I feel one of these monumental road trips coming on in the near future. Good things may happen in Marta's World making things better. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home