Monday, August 16, 2004

Bloggers make the best karaoke singers

The same friends I do improv with are also serious karaoke folks. They have personal play lists and go crazy at a new karaoke venue drooling on the song book. I don't want to call them karaoke snobs but they only do songs they know they can do well and never done in humor. I've always thought of karaoke as silly fun. Don't get me wrong, they have lots of fun and support each other but it can cause some performance anxiety to a newbie. I think I have an okay voice. I was in the choir in high school and sounded good with the other second sopranos.

Never in the many months of hanging with these folks have I done a song. At first it was because I was catching up with people. I should mention that this happens in Eugene not Portland. I wasn't avoiding doing it but it just never happened. I think I did turn in a song once late in the evening but it was too late. Then near the end of the walking cast phase of my recovery (yes, another story I will get to!) I had tonsillitis for almost 2 months! They actually threatened to remove them if I didn't get better! grrrr! I couldn't sing for awhile then I could do lower notes but not much else. It wasn't funny like the Brady Bunch episode when the kids formed a music group. They did it to win money to buy their parents an anniversary present. Peters voice started to change a couple days before the contest so Greg re-wrote his hit song to accommodate peters crackly voice. I just sounded bad!

It's been 3 months and I have more of a range but still not great. Honestly I think it's allergies more that a need to snip! If we transition into fall/winter and it's still a problem then I'll know. I don't have the lovely health insurance now so...I'll cross that bridge when I have to.

Two of the gang moved to California late July. One of them has come back for a week to visit mommy and friends. I hope to make the trip so I can see her at Monday night karaoke. She is entertaining and enthuiastic - fun to watch. They are both missed but she can shake it while cranking out a tune. Not sure I can do this just now but I'm a crazy spontaneous gal. I might finally do a song such as it will sound. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home