Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Fun new skills to go wild with!

Last night I took a three hour class called "Knitting with Wire". I was frustrated, excited and pleased all at the same time! The emotions of all the gals ran the gambit and changed from moment to moment. We really had to remember the saying "Don't shoot the Messenger". Darcy (the teacher) didn't make up this torcher but was merely spreading the joy.

The only real complaint I have about the class is this. The teacher has only ever made this one project and doesn't even like knitting with wire. She said that there was only one place to purchase wire. A company online. I have two different books from the library on the subject knitting with wire. You can purchase wire of all types wherever jewelry making supplies are sold! I even went online and Googled "jewelry wire". There are several sites to choose from. My beef is if you are going to teach a subject research it! Okay, I'm done.



I knew this was going to be difficult and would take practice in order to make beautiful things. I wanted to get some tips before proceeding with the book I checked out of the library in November. I really wanted some hands on to see if I wanted to pursue this. I do and will try to incorporate it in My busy world.

What was amusing to Me in this class is the snobby factor of some knitters. They definitely came down a few pegs last night! Just because you are a skilled knitter doesn't mean you can knit with wire. It takes dexterity, PATIENCE, a major sense of humor and tons of time. Some of these women fully expected to, in a three hour class, make something beautiful with time to spare!

I was at a disadvantage in that I didn't know how to knit in the round using double pointed needles. The most common way to make hats and socks is this method and a set of 4-5 double pointed needles. I gotta tell you if you learn to do a challenging skill like that with wire not only do you have it down you should never forget! Making socks for the boys should be a piece of cake in comparison.

Another skill I learned was a different way to cast on. (Continental) That is when you add the stitches on the needle before you start knitting. The way I normally do it is make "a stitch" with My fingers then add it to the needle. The wire cant be manipulated that much. It can break if twisted and kinked. That can ruin your day if you are well into a project and the wire breaks!

I stayed on the practice bracelet during the class to get the skill down but also I didn't like the class project. It was a bracelet knit in the round. I have wide hands and a small wrist so it would not be something I would want to make. In the book there is a straight bracelet with a clasp. (finding) That is what I want to make. I need to exchange the beads I got for smaller ones. No worries.

I feel I added another set of skills to my knitting and have a fun new way to make things. I'm excited at the possibilities. Time and money are all that's holding Me back!





4 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

Hey I have tons of beads, findings, and wire and would love to try knitting with wire(i like to bead). Let me know if you want to go through my bead stash and we can try knitting with wire together. I haven't really done any so ....it sounds like lots of great things can be made that way.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Diva! said...

That would be awesome. A book you might want to check out is "Knitting with Wire" by Nancie M. Wiseman

I can show you how!

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

I have seen the book but not looked through it.

Mail me and we can see what works...

poeticpurl @ gmail.com

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Diva! said...

You got it Doll!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home