Sunday, December 18, 2005

"Dude, wouldn't it be funny?. . . . ."

Last night there was a party in the Rec room in my building. It is located on my floor next door to the laundry room about 30- feet from my apartment. It felt like a strange party from the beginning as they papered over the glass on the door and the window in the laundry room. Others that have had parties haven't bothered. They even wrote a sign that said to stay in the party unless at the bathroom (next to Rec. room) or they will get kicked out. It got louder and louder with drunk people staggering in the hall talking loudly to each other and into cell phones. I guess they didn't read the sign.

I managed to stay up to the end of TNA but as soon as it was over at 11:30 I was out. I was having a interesting dream when I heard "screaming" and woke up. It was the buildings fire alarm screaming and lights flashing. The time was 12:10am. I didn't panic or take it seriously and neither did Nick. He went out in the hall (halfway to Rec. room) at the elevator and he could see the fire alarm had been pulled. He said some party goer's with open containers were laughing and trying to get out of each others way to the stairs to leave. I don't see the humor in that type of prank - ever.

We got our coats and I put on slippers to go out into the cold. The noise was ear piercing. The party goer's scattered some literally running into the cold night. We live three blocks from the fire station so it was within minutes they arrived. We do have a few families with smaller children that live in the building. They were scared and cold. Nick told me as the firemen arrived I should tell them the alarm had been pulled on our floor. He said otherwise it would be hours before we could go back in. He was looking at the two little kids that were crying and shivering. I walked into the lobby and told the closest fireman about the pulled alarm and the coincidently there had been a party on that same floor. They looked pissed off (do you blame them?) and they split up going up the two stairwells while two remained trying to get the alarm to stop. We were back in the building in less than 15 minutes. The fireman didn't leave for about an hour. They had the hook and ladder truck parked on the street in front of the building. I could hear the engine and see the lights flashing.

BTW the two gals that had been having the party had been the very last people out of the building. They changed out of their party clothes into their "pajamas" but still had full makeup on. They looked and acted sooo guilty but were claiming the party had been over and they were in their apartment relaxing. Nick said after we got let back in the building and he checked our place (man of the house securing the place) he went out in the hall and same said gals were hauling all the party goods out of the Rec. room not looking very relaxed. It will be interesting to hear if there is more to this story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home