Sunday, December 11, 2005

The time of year

This is the time of year where most people lose their perspective in a big way. We think too much about the meaning of things (that we shouldn't) , we angst over what to get as presents and whom to get them for, to send cards or not and generally spend too much money we don't have to be spending. Media and retailers hype this even more.

I don't think any of us should expect to get presents but be delightfully surprised if we get one. The first thought in our head should not be *I didn't get something/as nice for (blank)! I have to go do this NOW!* Rather it should be some happy noises and/or body contact depending on the person/situation.

The same can be said for Christmas cards. They are not a duty but should be sent if you choose. During my marriage things had to be done all proper "Miss Manners" like. The Christmas card list was just under 100 mailed out with another 20-30 handed or with presents/fudge/cookies (in tins). I have chosen not to send cards the last four years.

Now for presents. There is such a thing as the perfect present AND it doesn't have to cost a lot but it can. When picking a present you should really think about the recipient. What is important in their world? What are their hobbies? Is there an activity they would like to do more but cant? Make something because you can not because you have to. I love handmade gifts. Most people don't like to give certificates but the rest of us would love to receive them especially if the person acknowledge
something that is important or special to us. I don't consider it a cop out. Here is one example of one that might be good.
~ You know someone that likes to go to the movies but cant afford it. Get them gift certificates from a Theatre and include a hand made one or two that state you will drive and go with or make dinner before the movie. That personalizes it.

I myself don't consider practical gifts an insult. If you listened to things I said I needed or wanted in everyday conversation and got it for me I would love it! It is probably something I would get a lot of use out of but for whatever reason I don't get it for myself. Things like an electric blanket or new "cool" alarm clock will remind the recipient of you all year long.

Give presents because you want to period. This is not the time of year for guilt and going into debt but rather for being thankful for the people in your life. Enjoy the simple things all around you and smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home