Monday, July 28, 2008

Life Comes at Ya

Three weekends ago I went biking. I had not been for a very long time. I should back up some here and get back to this part, so

Several months ago I had painful feet. I didn't know what the problem was but life was not good. Turns out that 9 months of standing on hard cement was not good for my feet. Despite wearing good shoes and getting orthodontics I have Plantar Fasciitis. That is a foot ailment that can hurt like a son-of-a-bitch! You cant actually go through life not walking on your feet. (trust me on this)I had to give up exercising, pretty shoes and being barefoot ever to try to heal. I have to wear some very expensive running shoes that are stabilizing to let my fascia (tissue that becomes inflamed and tears) heal. When I say wear I mean from the first step out of bed in the morning to when I climb back in at night. That is the first step to getting better. At least two months of this and more advice. Anyway, this is how my fun started and I get back to my bike ride.

So, I couldn't take the no exercise thing anymore! Anyone who knows me knows biking is a very important part of my life. I went for an easy no hills 13 mile bike ride. I felt sooo good I went the next day too - same ride. On Monday I woke up with a pain in my left calf. I though I had strained a muscle so I went about my life eating aspirin and icing. After a couple of days I noticed some weird "bruising" that a co-worker thought was veracious veins (hell no!) That's when I payed attention to what was going on. I got freaked when my bruising was traveling up the inside of my leg. I asked my mom and she said to continue icing. Sometimes it was not as painful but hard to walk correctly. (my job includes walking half the hospital every hour for 8 hours delivering meds) After over two weeks of walking like Igor, eating aspirin like candy and icing I actually felt I had my "walk" back! I was still trying to get my re-worked
orthododitics back from Doc Bones. I called his office several times during the last week hoping my orthododitics had come in and I could stop by after work. He was gone for the weekend on a family vacation. I talked to his receptionist for a bit and told her about my bruise. She was concerned enough to call another doc she did billing for. After talking to the doc she advised me to get to a doctor today. It was 3:30 on a Friday. After making calls while finishing my short drive home and while home I could not find a doc or urgency care to see me. Thankfully I got health insurance to cover me while I am an on call Pharm Tech. Whew!

The short of my long story is I have a surface blood clot from my calf to my groin. At my groin it turns into a deep vein clot. That is actually the scarier part of Friday's trip to the ER. I was told if I had waited til Monday it's possible I would not be typing this post. Part of that clot can break away and go to my lungs. That is not good. I am on massive doses of blood thinner but as of the visit to the doc today it isn't making a difference yet. I was told to double the dosage of the by mouth medicine and continue giving myself a daily shot in the belly. (yuck!!!) I go back Wednesday before work to see if it has made a difference. The worse news is I can no longer take my sanity-keeping perimenopause away drug. I am feaarful of the weeping woman that cant cope with anything coming back. One step at a time. More later.

2 Comments:

At 2:22 AM, Blogger portlandnexus said...

As a freelance pharmacologist friend of mind used to say, we are creatures of chemicals. You're facing serious obstacles, but you've pulled through worse. I'm pulling for you!


Curt

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Diva! said...

Thanks for the positive words! However, I do fear that the worse is yet to come. I know the blood clot can kill me but feeling completely out of control emotionally is scarier to me. Been there,done that.

I have to take it one day at a time.

Marta

 

Post a Comment

<< Home