Friday, July 03, 2009

I'm here! (Where else would I be?)

I have had a busy crazy summer so far. I don't really have time or choose to be on the computer. I'm too busy biking, doing projects, going out and about before or after work and yes, even more bizarre dating experiences.

I'm a re-purpose queen these days! My latest project I got a three paneled screen I got at a garage sale for $10. bucks. It is black wood with a paper insert that reminds me of a furnace filter. Not the most attractive but good bones for my needs. It is 5'10" tall so it will be perfect for a privacy screen. Our place is small and in the summer (especially late summer) can get warm if the cross ventilation is cut off from closing my bedroom door. I can put the screen up so I have privacy laying in bed and Wil and his friends don't have to look at me when they come down the hall. I'm using fabric so the breeze will go through the screen but privacy abounds. I bought the same color paint that Carly used on the Basically Fucking Awesome screen. I got the fabric on a flat fold sale and instead of using traditional trim that is expensive ($1.29 and up) I found a copper cloth ribbon for 29 cents a yard. Since I needed 18 yards (to cover the staples) much better deal and ties in with the copper in the room! So I spent an additional $20. and will get a finished product worth much more! The other neat thing that has me excited about this project is the use of black bamboo. My parents neighbor trimmed her bamboo and saved the cuts and two big stalks for me. I had to let it dry for three weeks but now I need to varnish it to help it keep it's color. If not the black will fade. I'm not sure what I will use the big pieces for yet but I will use the smaller ones to cover the decorative cross pieces in each panel. I like the bamboo because it is speckled green/brown/black picking up the color of the paint and fabric. The back of the fabric looks like raw silk while the front is Fleur De lee (sp?). I can turn the screen either way and it will be like having two! The bamboo will be in front of the "raw silk" side and the copper ribbon with the Fleur side. It is a project of many steps but I'm excited to get going! I'm going to start removing the old paper in about five minutes then sand and paint on the fourth (my day off) at my parents. I will also trim off any parts on the bamboo then paint on the varnish.

Things at work are more uncomfortable than ever. The PBS's (Punk Ass Bitches) are behaving very catty, gossipy and bitchy at the prospect of the new manager coming in on Monday. The small rebel core of "team players" are sticking together and trying to weather out the storm. Unfortunately there are way more of them than us. We have a few code names and hand symbols that unify us in our war against drama. They are also called Tricky Bitches. Silly but it helps us feel we are not alone. The work environment should be very professional but instead it is soooo Junior High! Enough of the TB's!

Enjoy the sun and holiday!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home