Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Wrestling and one woman's generalizations

Over the weekend I finally got to experience some Lucha Libre style wrestling. It was just a taste but I really want to see more! It's like watching a Spanish tango performed. The beauty and athletic grace thrilled me. It reminded me of the time in Mexico I went to the bull fight. So much tradition of a culture included the sports. The sports stars in Mexico are hero's and they take that seriously. I know it's much different here and there is a lot of pressure on professional athletes to be at the top of their game BUT it seems like the trend is bad boy behavior. I know that several are turning rabid here but hold on. What I'm trying to say in a BIG generalization is this. We as a society have giving up on many traditions and norms to fit the fast paced make a buck mentality. We demand better athletes to entertain us and pay them insane amounts of money. We want them as our hero's like the early days of sports but as we have gotten so advanced and on a twenty four hour clock instant disposable life style we have seemingly given up on common sense and manners. Some of today's top athletes spent their whole life devoted to the sport that was going to give them everything. Power, status and money to buy them anything else in life they need. What they are lacking is the knowledge and skills to get along with others. Specifically manners and the practice of getting along in society. They have been pampered and treated as kings so that in some cases they haven't a clue how to get along in the world. All they know is their sport and the rest of their persona is stunted.

Now before you fire off that heated e- mail or comment remember this. It is one woman's half boiled opinion written in general. Love to hear what you have to say in this light. I love sports and watching them. I just wish it was more about the love of the game and team pride.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger Diva! said...

I dont mind e-mails about posts but would like it if you would share with the group.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home