Thursday, March 15, 2007

Could this be it? Really? part I

After I finished up at Hanna I applied for Unemployment. I really wasn't sure how long (in January) it would take to get another job. Since I have been on Unemployment a couple of times recently I was "chosen" to be in a program through the Department that helps you find more suited permanent work. (Translated they help the losers get a job so they stop sucking on the system) At the orientation two people from another program attended to talk about the program they work for. It's called the Displaced Workers Program. It is joint program PCC and the Employment Department. After an interview with an adviser they decide if you are a good fit for the program. There are a lot of hoops to jump through and tons of paperwork but in the end with perseverance and a lot of work they re-train you in a new career.

One of the requirements to determine your career path you have to take a career assessment test. The weekend before the class I took some online assessments. I took two different tests that came up the same annoying conclusion. I would make a great Kindergarten Teacher or Clergy. Ahhhh!! Actually I would probably kill someone. Babysit all day or go sexless?!? I think the whole editing myself and no swearing would kill me. I tried to shake it off and figured things would be different in the class. In the 1 1/2 hour class the same conclusion! Thankfully there was one more thing that came up I had not thought about. When I read about it the length of schooling involved I dismissed it. The program only supports short-term schooling.
I actually went through all this over a year ago. A job in the floral industry came up. I was rather excited about it but they would not touch it since it had a poor forecast.

The week that followed this was really hard for me. I was lost. The assessments really through me. They only support you on careers with a good forecast for employment. I simply did not know what to do. I had no idea how to start over or was it re-start. I'm sure it wasn't just the job thing hitting me but Nick was going through some bad stuff and the ex husband was making all of our lives miserable. I kinda had a meltdown. I put on my sweaties and stuck close to home. Wil sensed what was going on the good kid he is. He helped make meals, watched movies and shows with me, gave me hugs and even did some cleaning. (really he did) I wrote to my advisor and expressed my being lost. He didn't answer me back. After a week I got out of my sweaties and got back in the swing of things. I started looking for the same jobs that I didn't really want. I knew this hadn't worked for the last two years so I wrote him Sunday night and asked to meet with him. He wrote back and said come see him Tuesday afternoon. I wasn't sure what to expect. I was trying to go in ready to problem solve but honestly I was not feeling positive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home