Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Dating is tougher than I remember

A week ago I made the decision to try online dating. I have been very reluctant to get into this for a plethora of reasons. The biggest one being the impersonal way you go about it. You have to decide about someone by the words they type and a few small photographs. Call me old fashioned but where is the spark of seeing a persons smile, or their great ass that made you stare, or the laugh or voice you hear and you glance around to see where it's coming from. I don't know about you but I find it difficult to write about myself. The works come up flat and don't seem to be the essence of me. If I cant write it how is a person going to "get me"?

After posting here I took your advice and joined two free sites. Why two you ask? Well, most sites only give the hetro choice. I joined a straight site and a gay/bi/hetro site. The problem I found was there is a lot of creeptastic out there. I thought derby had some creepy followers. Anyway, I responded to two guys and e-mailed two. The only one I heard back from was one of the guys that wrote me. We were actually going to meet for coffee. We wrote back and forth four times. He kept trying to get me to call him to "yap"but I did not want to give my phone number. I did not say that but that is how I felt. At first it was exciting and fun. I thought how easy this online thing is! After a few days and he was not responding to a few things I said repeatedly. I backed off from trying to go to coffee this weekend and closed the account. He could not meet this weekend as he has "family concerns". We were going to meet up "some evening middle of the week. I was getting a vibe that did not click right. I unfortunately sent him my direct e-mail. I cant access the dating site from work (where I spend a lot of time) but he ignored the two times I asked him to respond at my e-mail instead of answering on the site. I'm hoping that when I canceled the site that all correspondence erased too. I canceled Friday and have not heard from him, yet.

My next move was to join a free but not free site. It does not cost to be a member but to communicate you have to pay. I joined Match.com. You have to fill out a long questionnaire to be matched. Also had to write about myself. When I told people that I had joined Match you groaned. I'm not looking for my "soul mate" but that is not good enough for all y'all. Fine!

I canceled the very expensive Match.com to move to the more expensive e-Harmony! I cant go back now because I had 7 days free with Match. The thing I don't like about E is you can only see the 5 matches they send you once per day. So far they have all been frogs! This whole experience has made me feel very judgmental and snobby. I maybe 46 but don't feel/look/act it. The matches they are sending me remind me of the guys that leered at me during derby. I know it has only been about a week since I started this journey but I'm feeling a bit disappointed. I guess in thinking while typing this post is since it was now "out of the hands of fate" and I was "in control" it should be quick. I see that is unrealistic but at this early stage of the game I feel I threw my money to the wind.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home