Tuesday, August 24, 2004

The real facts about camping (in Marta's World)

I felt the need to set the record straight on this subject. Some have made comment that because I like to hike it's assumed I must be a camper too. I do enjoy camping but I have to say it's Princess Style. You can blame my parents for this. When my parents friends went camping one family used old (stinky) canvas pup tents. The well to do folks would either rent a cabin close to the campsite or later they bought a big Streamline. My parents didn't like camping much so we would drive up for the day. One year my dad saved up so we could rent a camper van. I thought we hit it big! It truly was a house on wheels. Okay I was 8 or 9 at the time and hadn't seen things like that up close.

As an adult my camping habits haven't changed much. I prefer a Yurt at the beach or staying at an already established camp city of someone else's making. I like to be comfy and don't see the need to sacrifice while camping. I like to do certain things while camping that I don't always like doing at home. For instance I really enjoy hand washing dishes while camping. I have a great system and it's almost fun. Weird huh. I also like cooking on a campfire. I have some recipe's I only use while camping. I think the reason is there isn't all the usual things you have to do when your at home so the same tasks take on a new feeling. I could be the fact I'm weird.


When the kids were younger we would "camp" in the family room. I would set up a tent, air mattresses, sleeping bags and lanterns/flashlights. We would play board games in the tent and eat camp food. If it was summer we would do it in the backyard. Again not really rouging it but enjoying some of the fun of camping.

I will say I enjoy the quiet relaxed life style while camping. If you want to stay in your pj's and read all day it's okay. No phones to answer unless you choose to take your cell. It's expected that you make and eat lots of smores every night. You can really reconnect with your loved ones with all that free time or you can really get on each others nerves.

I suggest you grab some people you care about and do whatever kind of camping it is you like. Enjoy the simple things life has to offer. Now go and be happy. :o)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Blogger Diva! said...

we always had a blast doing it. in the winter if it was too icky out we would do it for the weekend but it would include a "drive in movie"
nick saw the tent today when we were packing and wanted to set it up in my double studio. :}

 

Post a Comment

<< Home