Saturday, April 23, 2005

I'm so happy I found Queer Knitting on craigslist and decided to start knitting again! The understanding I feel in this group of (mostly) women is amazing. The layers of commonality we have to each other is wonderful. First we are there because we all love to knit but then we have so much more in common. We all enjoy women, we are mom's and most of us are quirky with a great sense of humor. I feel that comes from being different from the "norm" because of our sexuality. You can either get angry or learn to laugh at peoples reactions and actions to your choice. Most of us choose humor.

I forgot how much all this comforted, brightened and enlightened me. We help each other with projects, our relationships, jobs/school our lives! We joke with one another in a way (I feel) straight people don't. We have nothing to hide (for the most part) from each other so it all comes out. It is a safe environment.

It was so nice to be welcomed back! I got caught up with the gals and got my project back on track. The conversations can go from complicated math equations that help figure out how many yards in an unmarked ball(s) of yarn equals out to "Lesbian haircuts". I feel I can say anything to this group and offend or feel embarrassed. Better than any family I've ever had and cheaper than a therapist. Well, it depends what your project.

We all join groups for different reasons. Usually all you have in common is the one thing. As example I used to belong to The Edsel Car Club. Mostly the only thing people had in common was the love of old cars. That's great but if that's all you have to talk about it can get stale. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my time talking cars with the guys and learning to judge cars in meets. So well in fact I got to judge at the big meet in Forest Grove "Concourse de Elegance". With the ladies I talked knitting and dressing up "50's" for meets and tours. It was fun but I don't regret not being in the club anymore. (gave it up in the Divorce along with the 1959 pink Edsel Convertible w/ continental kit)

I have so much more to say on this subject but have no time to fully form a thought these days much less type it! So thanks QK for the warm hug I get from all of you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home