Friday, October 24, 2008

Sun Light feels Nice

I have been pretty busy both at work and at home. Since I got wonderful Carly art I wanted the rest of the room to look better. I was typing an e-mail and calculated up my hours for the pay period. When I finish my shift tonight and tomorrow day I will have worked over 100 hours this 2 week pay period. Whoa.

I have been re-arranging the Living room a bit. I am slowly eliminating my Ikea furniture. Mostly I'm replacing my "starter" furniture and getting what I want. It's not ex Mother-in-law hand me down's or ex life partner's obsession with Ikea. I can pick the antique pieces that I enjoy. I want to get a Duncan Phyfe Dining room table and possibly buffet or side board.

Duncan Phyfe Furniture

A New York cabinetmaker, Duncan Phyfe (1795-1856) made fashionable furniture for the carriage trade of his day. His finest work was done from 1800 to 1820. Phyfe made much furniture, but not nearly as much as has been attributed to him. No one man could have possibly made that much.

There is no actual "Duncan Phyfe" in itself, although his fine interpretations of what was currently popular gave rise to the erroneous calling of all furniture done in those styles by his name.

The styles he did make were late Sheraton and Directoire. There was so much similarity and overlapping of styles during that time that it is simpler and less confusing to class these various designs together and call them Early Empire, as is often done.

A fine cabinetmaker, Phyfe's well-constructed, tastefully executed furniture declined in artistry as the later Empire styles became fashionable. His earlier pieces in Sheraton and Directoire styles were in much better taste.


I'm also going through stuff on the bookcases and eliminating things I don't want or need. I don't feel like I have to keep things anymore because I may not be able to get what I really want if I give it up. That is really a great feeling. I have kept paper backs I didn't want to read but held onto in case I had nothing else to read. It has been a long road but I am in the sunlight now.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home