Sunday, August 31, 2008

Reading is Sexy

I have been reading a lot lately. Since I don't have to read text books for now I can do so for pleasure. I have been an avid reader most of my life once I learned how. I had a lot of trouble learning to read in grade school. I was in the easy reader - slow group well into my fourth grade year. When I finally got it I went crazy reading. My first book series I read was by Laura Ingalls Wilder. She wrote the "Little House" books. I still have the scholastic books I got in fourth grade! I read them with my boys. Wil really enjoyed the book "Farmer Boy". We even tried some of the recipes in the book. He did a book report on this book in the fourth grade.

A couple months ago I went to Powells for a specific book. After I found what I was after I browsed a bit. I started by cruising some authors I like to see if there was new books I would be interested in. After that I looked around to see what caught my eye. Titles, covers or blurbs written by staff. I found some new reads that way. I picked what I wanted to buy and otherwise I wrote down information for future reading adventures. I even looked up some of my finds on the library site. I'm pleased to say I found some new authors I'll be watching.



Karen Templeton writes romance novels like I used to read in eighth grade. I don't read those anymore but she also wrote a couple books using a different publishing house. One that I really liked is called "Loose Screws". Sounds like it was written by me! She has a great style that reminds me of Janet Evanovich (she writes the Stephine Plum books I love) mixed with Carrie Bradshaw (SitC) and genuine characters and story you enjoy. Unfortunately it is a stand alone book instead of a series. When I got near the end of the book I slowed way down. I didn't want it to end knowing there would not be another book.


I have read a few books by Gail Tsukiyama that I really liked. "The Samuria's Garden" was the first one as recommended by my then Sister-in Law. She was in a book club and passed some books on to me. When I read this book I completely forgot this was written by a woman. It is so wonderfully written it "is" from a man's prospective. I really loved this book. I had a cute paperback size hardback of this book. I lent it to someone and never got it back. ; (


Some other books written by Gail Tsukiyama I really liked are called "Dreaming Water" and "Women of the Silk". She writes in such a way that really draws you in. She has a couple more books I would like to read. They are on my list of "reads". What I like about her books is "seeing" the characters and feeling the pain and triumph they feel. Books are a wonderful way to get entertainment and see the perspective of another.



A book I read several years ago I love is called The Red Tent. The author is Anita Diamant.

"The Red Tent retells the story of Dinah, which is found in the Biblical book of Genesis, Chapter 34. This episode, usually known as the "Rape of Dinah" has been a difficult passage for bible readers for centuries because of the murderous behavior of Jacob's sons. In Genesis, Dinah does not say a single word; what happens to her is recounted and characterized as rape by her brothers. In my retelling of the story, Dinah finds her voice. The Red Tent is told entirely from her perspective and the point of view of the women around her." I find this story very powerful. It is a historical fiction but very well written. I re-read this every couple of years. It gives me the same "Girl Power" feeling that Buffy does.



A more recent find from my trip to Powells is two books by Jane Porter called "Odd Mom Out" and "Mrs. Perfect". It is two stories written about the affluent (snobby) side of Seattle suburbs. My ex Sis-in-Law was in that crowd. I would not be able to stand it! The thing I really liked about "Odd Mom Out" is the main character. Her name Marta. She is a zany gal that does things her way. (hum, sounds familiar) There are really two main characters in these books. The first one is Marta and this is the story from her perspective and the second is the story of Taylor Young. The neat twist is it the same story to start in both books. The story is from the main characters perspective. "Odd Mom Out" is Marta's story while "Mrs. Perfect" is Taylor's then it goes beyond the first story of Marta. I really enjoyed that.



Got some favorite books you want to recommend let me know. Always looking for a good read.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home