Thursday, August 26, 2004

There is no place like home

I was born in San Francisco and lived there for the first four years. We lived on 18th in Sutro heights (Off Geary St.). For those not familiar with San Francisco it is above the Coast Highway near (what used to be) the Sea Cliff Restaurant. That is above the Sutro Baths. I could see the huge windmills that were built on the edge of Golden Gate Park by the sea. Their size was overwhelming to me as a small child. When they had the amusement park it was across from the seawall. It's where the Safeway now stands. We used to go there for my oldest brother Mike. He is 8 years older than me. He liked the fun house a lot but I didn't like the mechanical clown at the entrance. He was like the crazed one in the Pee Wee Herman movie. I understand your distrust of clowns, Luke.

We went to the beach like most families go to the park. My brother mike and his friends liked to surf. One of the best places to surf was on that stretch of beach close to the cliff house. The tide coming in and hitting the cliff and rocks before that causes a mean undertow. It also makes for sneaker waves. The tide could be 50 yards out one minute and 100 yards in the next. One of those got yours truly.

It was the early spring before we moved to Portland. I was 3 1/2 at the time. My dad's younger brother Gordon (aka Joe) came for a last visit before we moved. We went to the beach so my uncle could see the surfers and take some pictures. He is an amateur photographer. It was a brisk day so I was wearing my favorite heavy gray hooded sweatshirt and jeans. The adults were talking so I went to throw things in the ocean. I remember having to dig things up for my throwing. I heard yelling from far away and turned to see what was up. Next thing I remember is a strange feeling of calm and quiet being under water. Then coughing and trying to breath and my mom's hysterical crying. My uncle had sprinted head on into the ocean and in a blind grab got me by the hood. He said I was so heavy with water and sand he almost lost his grip. He lost his camera in the ocean while saving me. I guess I owe him a camera.

Scarlett had her families plantation Tara that helped her heal, renew and regain her perspective. Oddly My Tara is the ocean; the seawall in S.F. even better. Hearing a fog horn and smelling sea air combined with the scent of eucalyptus and I get such a stab in my heart! Most people don't like fog but for me it's almost as good as snow. I could so use that right now.

I have visited and lived in the bay area several times in my adult life. Occasionally something reminds me of S.F. and I get such a need to be back there. Until the boys are out of high school I'm here in P-Town but hope to move back there someday. Be prepared Mike and Marsha because when I can afford it I'm so there for a visit!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home