Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Marta's Sick Journal, day . .7 ?

I am feeling better but it takes most of the day to get there. I am very happy to be (s-l-o-w-l-y) on the road to recovery. Yes, Marta is still stuck in the well but I am optimistic Lassie will rescue me soon.

During my sick days I looked on the dating site. I sent a couple of e-mails to see what would happen. I got a very positive reply back today. It was fun to see the e-mail header. I really have not had much luck so far on the site but the glass is half full, right? I am looking forward to things unfolding. He seems like a nice enough guy so far but we have not written much yet. Stay tuned . . . anything can happen.

I really like the "stories" we are watching. I will always love, Sex and the City, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the X-Files and Charmed but the new ones rock. I cant believe Dexter is in the fifth season! I wasn't sure where they could go after killing off Rita but I like where the story line is going. Introducing Julia Stiles character is parallel to the books "Dexter in the Dark", "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" and "Dearly Devoted Dexter" by Jeff Lindsay that the series is based on. I have not read the books but Wil read them a couple summers ago. I have them on my lengthy reading list. He actually trained the step daughter in the books but the steps have gone to live with the paternal grandparents so they introduced a new character. I hope her character gets some more dimension to her. She is still under defined.

I have mentioned before how there are some books I re-read every few years. They have a good positive story but what interests me is how the story changes a bit every time I read them. Perhaps it is changed because I am in a good place or trying to get to one. I am reading a book I read many years ago. Another book from my moms pile going to the book store. It is the same copy from my childhood house that I read in high school. I thought I remembered the story but it is more complex and poignant than I remembered. "My name is Asher Lev" by Chaim Potok. I started reading it because I was on the library site and found he had written a sequel to the 1971 book in 1992. I wanted to read the first before the sequel. It was Marta karma to have put the book on hold at the library then told my mom about the sequel - bam there was the first one! I love to share a good book with people but I am hesitant to lend out favorites anymore. You should remember to return it to me but come on, I write my name in keepers! I have lost some dear to me books.

There are many of Chaim Potok's books I love.
"In addition to being an accomplished author, Chaim Potok was also a artist. He recreated the painting "The Brooklyn Crucifixion", which the character Asher Lev painted in the book
My Name is Asher Lev" A few fav's that I highly recommend are The Chosen, The Promise and Davita's Harp. Very beautifully written with wonderful characters. I like them for the story but you are also exposed to a different culture. Enjoy or should I say Mazel tov! (Good luck. The phrase is used to express "congratulations" for a happy and significant occasion or event)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home