Thursday, October 13, 2005

And now for something GOOD!

I am pleased to finally tell you the good news you (and I) have been waiting for! No more waiting and wondering! I shall tell you now. . . .

After much backing and forthing trying my patience greatly at the whim of a mad man I now have sole custody of my darling teenage boys!!! The news (and support) came through yesterday. I have been working on this for four years but in a "take no prisoners" manner since last June. There was no way they were ever going back as long as I had breath in my body! I would have even come back as a pissed of bitch of a ghost!

They have both had a hard time adjusting and feeling any stability since coming to live with me. They changed neighborhoods and lifestyles and the parenting is a lot different. They have had to deal with what happened with their dad and the many other changes as I tried to get them in a good location. Both looked forward to starting over in new schools with a clean slate.

Sadly for Nick that was not possible. His father had used his connections and a lot of bullying last year to get Nick mis-diagnosed ADHD and was going for Bi-polar. The IEP followed Nick and after breaking his wrist they took him out of PE and put him in the classes that he didn't need and make him feel and act stupid. He doesn't need special ed classes and has gone into an instant plummet on his self esteem! Since trying to sign up and start at his new school the kid has been lost in a bitchy paper trail, had his back pack stolen out of his locked locker, (and not re-imbursted for anything) broke his wrist, put in "the stupid classes" and when he stays for FLEX (the afterschool program that allows you to go to the teachers and get help with schoolwork) he is rewarded on a daily basis by being harrasted by bullies. They throw rotten food at him, spit on him and have even ripped his t-shirt in a physical altercation. The school only managed to piss the bullies off so Nick feels he is in for a lot worse. No wonder the kid doesn't want to go to school!

The school wasn't a good fit for Wil either. He was used to a higher intelligence level and maturity from his fellow students. It was like going to school with sixth graders. He got the flu the first full week and had debilating headaches after that. After missing more school than going it was decided that he would not be able to catch up and should withdraw this term. I just didn't see how next term would be any different there. We looked into alternative schools and programs that would be a good fit for him. We found what we all feel is a good program for Wil AND he is excited about. It's called Gateway to College. You earn your High School diploma and college credits at the same time. It has great support for the kids and guidance through to graduation. He can pick his own path and be in classes that are challenging. Wil has been bored a lot in school since it's not difficult. He was never disruptive or skipped school but just took it.

I suppose it's a good thing I don't have a job right now so I can get it all straightened out. I was so stressed trying to do a job I wasn't prepared for I was overwhelmed. I am not an accountant! I'm back where I started four years ago. What can I do right now to support myself that I have the skills for? I dont have the answers but I will keep trying to find them. I have been through a lot worse but each time the smoke clears I am still standing.

2 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger Joseph Perry said...

I'm so glad that you have wonderful things happening in your life, and that you are doing what needs to be done for you and your guys. Here come some more positive vibes your way . . . ZAAAAAAAAAAP!!!

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Diva! said...

Thanks you! I realize I have not been my usual cheery, upbeat self of late and would like to change that post haste!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home